Monday, May 26, 2014

Going Solo: Kerri 2.16



Puppy ownership did have it's down. Rascal had a few incidents in the house. Sha was good about correcting his behavior and cleaning up after him. Making the adjustment from having a toddler to have a kid was still a work in progress for me. I wanted to do more things for Davis, but he wanted to be a big boy and do it himself.



Although he still enjoyed his bedtime stories. Boyd and I were finding a balance with the parenting thing much to his wife's dismay. She, like his mother, had hoped his need to be in Davis' life was a phase he'd get bored with. However, even though he didn't see him in person often, Boyd was an active part of Davis' life. They talked on the phone almost daily and over the long holiday break we flew to Bridgeport. He spent the week with Boyd and I stayed with Mom. Sha and I were actively planning our wedding. I didn't need a big ceremony, but the place Sha wanted to get married at was often booked, so although she wanted a spring wedding, we had to wait until summer.



Davis was doing well in school, but Sha and I both helped him with his homework when needed. We also would both attend parent night functions since he was just as much her son as he was mine. We were taken by surprise when he asked her not to come to the scout night. She was confused, but respected his wishes. The next day she convinced me to take a break from painting and we lost track of time.




Davis: Ugh! I hate living here! I want to live with Dad. At least he and Bellisma are a normal couple!

We were shocked. Before I could respond, he turned and ran from the house. I chased after him, but the closer he was getting to puberty the more his vampire abilities started to kick in.


I was frantic trying to find him. I called all of his friends, but no one had seen him. I called the police and they sent a few officers out to find him. I was beside myself with worry. Sha made me some tea and sent me off to take a warm bath. An officer brought him home a few hours later, he was found hanging out at the old abandoned warehouse. I wanted to be angry at him, but I was just so thankful he was home. Sha gave us some time alone, so I could talk to him.


Kerri: Davis what has gotten into you? First not wanting Sha at your scout night, now running off?

Davis: I just rather live with Dad.

Kerri: Well, that's not an option. Talk to me honey, tell me what's wrong.

He didn't say anything for a while. I reached out to move his hair from his face, but he jerked away from me.

Davis: Why can't you be with a guy?

I was stunned. I knew my relationship with Sha wasn't the norm, but it wasn't like we were the only same sex couple in town. Or at least I didn't think we were.


Davis: The other kids make fun of me. I don't want to stay here anymore unless you are gonna be normal like everybody else.

I was at a loss for words. It hurt me to hear my baby was being picked on, but it hurt even more to know he was embarrassed by his family dynamics. Sha and I loved him, made sure he had everything he wanted and more. He had an amazing extended family, yet the pressure of his peers made us an embarrassment to him. I was heartbroken.


Kerri: Son, families come in different varieties. You are surrounded by people that love you. That's what's most important, not what some kids say.

Davis: You're wrong Mom. What they say is very important.

He got up and ran to his room. I sat on the couch and winced when I heard the door slam behind him. I thought about going in there to correct him, but decided against it. He needed time to cool down. In the morning hopefully he'd be better.


Sha: I don't think that went well.

Kerri: He's getting picked on at school.

Sha: What?! Why?! We need to call the school and get this straightened out.

Kerri: I think that would make it worse for him. It's us.

Sha: Us?


Kerri: Yeah, he wants to have a 'normal' family.

No more words were said. Over the next few weeks, Davis became more stand-offish with Sha and I. He didn't want to tell us about events at school. He didn't even want us helping him with his homework.


After much debate, I made the call I'd been dreading. Summer was upon us. I'd let him spend it with Boyd in Bridgeport in hopes that when he got back things would be better. The day before he left, we went to the summer fair.







Sha and I were very conscience to not be affectionate in public for him. When Boyd showed up to take him the next day, I was in tears. Davis didn't even want to hug me before he left. I spent the next few days in bed crying, worried if I'd made the right decision.

14 comments:

  1. Ooo rough age and rough topic. I applaud you for making it a part of your story. I hope things work out for the girls. Not sure if living with dad long term would be good for the kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep very rough age. Kids can be cruel, and unfortunately they have not been so nice to poor Davis. :( Kerri is trying to handle it as best she can without giving in to his demands to live full time with Boyd. Hopefully his time spent there over the summer will give him some perspective.

      This story is supposed to be more light hearted than my others, but I try to have some real life issues mixed in when I can.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Puberty...such a rotten age....I appreciate that you took time to include some RL stuff in your story. I hope things work out for Kerri and her son and that Boyd won't poison Davis's mind against Kerri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's reaching a critical age. He needs a strong male influence even though he does have his mom and Sha who love him dearly. It's not enough to balance out the teasing at school sadly.

      And aww thanks. I know this is for fun, but have a little RL thrown in helps make it more 'real' for me even though it's sims. And...yes. Let's hope Boyd doesn't use this as a way to get Davis. That would be low. Hopefully he's matured more now than when he first learned he had a son.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Davis please don't let the other kids ruin your relationship with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( yeah let's hope it doesn't. But it's a tough time for him. Little boy living with two moms, the kids are making him have self doubt. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's sad. But it's perfectly normal. A kid doesn't want to be different, no matter what kind of difference it is. I wouldn't be for his events at school, he wouldn't even care.
    I hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, he just wants to fit in and having two moms isn't letting him do that. :( Peer pressure sucks, he didn't know any different until those kids starting making fun of him. He shouldn't be ashamed of his mom and she was hurt that he was.

      Kerri's trying to handle it the best way she can, hopefully this time with his father will do him some good.

      Delete
  5. Oh no, how absolutely awful to be censured by your own son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah :( Davis threw a bit of a fit there sadly.

      Delete
  6. I guess Davis has some traits there that affect how he is looking at his Mom's and Shasha's relationship. Too bad he is being picked on. Worse too bad that he feels so angry about it and takes it out on Kerri.
    I hope he comes back from Bridgeport, but, Boyd would have a good case for custody now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davis was fine until he got to school. Kids can be cruel and since he was picked on he decided he didn't like his family dynamics. :( Hopefully his time in Bridgeport will be helpful.

      Delete
  7. Poor Kerri, this must be so rough for her :/ Davis is just at such a difficult, rough age where it really is important what the other kids think. I hope he'll come around when he's a little older. I guess his teenage moods are kicking in a little early ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah she was hurt by his outburst :( She never thought about how her relationship could be a negative to Davis. He's at an age where other people's opinions matter sadly and the peer pressure is getting to him.

      thanks for reading

      Delete