Saturday, October 18, 2014

Going Solo: Grace Gen 4.23



Listening to Jonas talk about his wife was painful, it was clear they had been deeply in love. All he'd told me before was that she died young. Just like his father, she was a human. They were high school sweethearts. From the moment he saw her, he knew she was the girl for him.


When he'd talked before about the politics within the Fae community he always had an angry undertone. The Fae in Hidden Springs operated by a their own societal rules. The Elders were still big believers in 'elitism' and typically frowned upon interbreeding of the races, however times changed and love started dictating obligation. Unlike Vampires, or even werewolves, who could turn others if they wanted, the council had to approve a human becoming a fairy. A single Fae didn't have the ability to do so, there was a special potion that needed to be made, mixed up by the Elders and blessed by a witch.

Jonas had petitioned the council for approval for Candace. They'd only been married two years when they'd learned she was sick. The council denied his petition, even though his great-grandfather sat on the board. The lead Elder at the time was a hateful woman and wasn't ready to give up the idea of having only pure fairies and denied more petitions than she granted.


Jonas was devastated and had to watch the woman he loved die. He left Hidden Springs after that and spent years traveling, never getting attached to one place until he got tired of living like a nomad and settled here. I could see how much he didn't like talking about it, I understood that feeling all too well. My heart went out to him, the idea of having to watch someone you loved so much die, was too much to bear. I couldn't imagine living in a community that could be so heartless so I understood more now how he could move and leave his family behind.


"You swore off love only to fall for a human again." I stated quietly.

"Yes, but I've learned some things in life are beyond our control. I was angry for a long time. A really long time, but then one day I woke up and realized I'd spent years angry over what could have been instead of remembering what I'd had. I wasn't honoring her or our life together by doing that. I never intended to fall in love again. I honestly didn't think I could love anyone again, but you proved me wrong. I am grateful everyday for my decision to move here and for meeting you."

"Even if that means watching me die?"

A sad looked crossed his face. "I'm going to enjoy the time we have together as it's the most precious."



We sat quiet for a little while as I digested everything he'd told me. Jonas loved his first wife, and as he spoke I could see that part of him always would. It was strange, I expected to be jealous of the love they'd shared, that he'd cared so deeply for someone other than me, but I wasn't. Instead, I found myself sadden for the love that he lost, even knowing that if things had happened differently he would have never entered my life.


"I have thought about this, a lot. I've secretly wished I could have what Hope and my mother have, to be like the one they love. Can...can we talk to the council? I mean if they say no, I have another option. Dad has been pushing for me to be a vamp. He doesn't want to lose me, I understand that, but as much as I love them and would hate to cause them pain, something always held me back. They can be outside for short periods of time, but they can't enjoy it. I like waking up in the morning and working in my garden. I enjoy the feel of the sunshine on my face, those are things my family can't enjoy. But, I'd be willing to give that up. I'll do that for you."

"Grace, I'd never ask you to do that. I've always told you it's your decision and never tried to sway you."

"I know. Listening to you, seeing how much you loved Candace and knowing how much pain you were in after losing her, I can't do that to you. I won't."


Jonas took hold of my hand and I rested my head on his shoulder. He didn't say anything more so I wasn't sure if he was angry or relieved over my choice. I called Hope and she was very supportive of my decision. She said that no matter what happened, she was happy to know I'd be around for a while.

The next morning our first stop was to my parents. I wanted to explain things to them first so they would know. I'd never seen Dad so happy. Of course he would like to see me around forever, but having a few centuries with me was good enough as well. Mom fully supported my choice as well. I felt better after talking to them and felt level of confidence I'd not had before. Even if the council denied his petition, Jonas would never have to worry about watching me die.


"Good morning," Wind said as she greeted us at the door. "Did you two have a talk?"

"Yes, Grace is fully aware of everything."

"Good, you should have told her sooner."

Jonas just smiled and nodded his agreement.

"Well, I for one think she's going to make a lovely Fairy. And she can stare at her own wings from now on." She gave a little smile and winked. I was again embarrassed.


"Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? I still have to seek approval."

He'd told me last night he would have to address the council in person. He wasn't hopeful since he'd apparently said some pretty nasty things to all of them after Candace died.

"No dear you don't."


She left and went upstairs then came back with a glowing bottle.

"I talked to them before making the trip. I told you times have changed, mainly the fact that your great-grandfather now heads the council. There was a bit of an uprising after you left. Out with the old, in with the new so to speak."

I picked up the bottle and stared at it. I thought I'd have weeks, months maybe to get used to the idea of being something different. Something new, but instead that choice now stared me in the face.


"Am I supposed to just drink it?" I asked, looking at the glowing pink liquid.

"Yes dear."

"Grace, if you are having second thoughts, you can wait. We have the potion so there's no rush."

I knew I had to do it fast or I would second guess and talk myself out of it. I loved him. I wanted this. It was the right choice. I uncorked the bottle and drank the whole thing before he could stop me.
 

I felt dizzy. The bottle fell from my hand, the room started spinning. The last thing I heard was Jonas calling my name before everything went black.


**A/N**

So..yeah I've sorta mixed up Jonas' history a bit. I wanted some of his background to be from what Vuneca had for him in her story but not the exact same since the outcome for him was death. I kept him married to Candace since they were such a great couple and I worked off some of the politics they faced in Hidden Springs. Pictures of Jonas' history courtesy of Vuneca's story.

Thank you to Dehlia for being the special witch to bless (make) the Fae Potion.You can read all about Dehlia and the Burnbright family at Shafer249's blog. Her going solo challenge is combined with a prettyacy and alphabet challenge.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! So they're going to have a cute baby fairy! I can't wait to see it.

    And, hey, I was sure I was getting to see Grace's wings TODAY!!! lol
    Anyway... I'll have to wait, what choice do I have?...
    I hope you'll be back with a new update soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they will. :)

      Sorry...no wings today, but tomorrow we get to see if she'll be okay and if the change takes.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. It was so good to see Candace again even if in flashbacks, it brought back some good memories. Jonas told her the whole story which you can tell brought Grace closer to him and gave her the knowledge that she could be a fairy herself. I couldn't see her being happy as a vampire for the reason you just said, she loves plants and plants need sunshine to thrive.

    Gotta love Wind she came prepared! Grace is going to make the cutest fairy and they are the cutest couple. She may be on the floor right now, but I'm not worried, she is going to fly off that floor. I can't wait to see her wings!

    Well this time we know the baby will be a fairy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had to make a brief appearance if Jonas was going to talk about his first wife. I wanted to keep as much of his history as I could. It did give Grace a deeper understanding of him, hearing him talk about his wife and seeing how much he loved her. Seeing how much pain he was in from losing her, she felt for him. :( She wouldn't have been happy as a vamp, but would go that way if necessary. She however loves the sun, working outside with her plants, that would be greatly hampered as a vamp.

      LOL yeah Wind had it all handled. She was not about to let her grandson lose another person he loves. She saw first hand how much he suffered, that wouldn't happen again. :D She is on the floor, but it hopefully is only temporary.

      The baby is coming...I promise.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Aww, it was nice to see Candace again. She and Jonas were always such a cute couple, and I was so sad when both of them died in Vuneca's story. But, Jonas and Grace are adorable, and she's going to make a really pretty fairy. Can't wait to see her wings. :)

    Gotta love Wind. She's always been a great character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace got full disclosure about Jonas' past life. He hadn't talked about her in a long while but it was time for Grace to know the whole story. Wind left him little choice.

      I'm enjoying using Jonas. I knew when I read Vuneca's story and he died that he'd be perfect once Grace's character started to take shape.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. Blogger swallowed my comment :( (probably my fault since I wasn't logged in) I can't wait to see their fairy babies and her wings!! I hope she won't ever regret it but I doubt she will. It'll be nice to see her and her family around until the end of this blog (all being well) :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww sorry. Blogger can be a pain!

      LOL you guys all waiting on babies. They are coming I promise. I need to finish her LTW at least before that happens. Working on it, but they are coming.

      Grace won't regret her decision. She didn't rush into making it and it's what she wants. Being a fairy is more to her nature than being a vampire. Yeah they will be the last group standing won't they. LOL Should be fun to have them around.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Great job modifying the history. I was wondering how that would go. I am so happy for Jonas! Grace is a good mate for him.
    Yay Wind coming prepared. They all lost so much, it's great to see her helping prevent the same losses for her grandson this time around.
    I can't wait to see what kind of wings she has and how she adjusts. Being a fairy will be perfect for her gardening! Once she gets the hang of it anyway. And yes, I am excited to see their future fairy baby too!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted to keep it somewhat related to his life in your story. You did a great job with those politics and crazy Emmaline, it made for the perfect back story. Grace had big shoes to fill following behind Candace but she's up for the challenge.

      Yep! Wind was not about to let her grandson suffer again if she could help it. With Wilson in charge of he council now, they give out more approvals than they did with Emmaline heading up things.

      LOL I have to get used to playing a fairy. I've not done it before. I'm trying to read up on how to get those options, and I have to use the fairy magic to unlock levels. Guess Grace is going to need to play a few fairy tricks LOL as will the baby they have since I'll need to start tackling the Fae LTW.

      Wedding, then baby. If all goes well both should happen next weekend.

      thanks for reading

      Delete