Saturday, August 30, 2014

Going Solo: Grace Gen 4.5


Later that day, while I was out in the yard with Vor, my phone buzzed.

Just checking to make sure you got home okay.

I frowned at the message. He'd sat there with me, in his car until Grams arrived. I'd first called Dad, but he was out of town, and Mom was at at doctor's appointment with Erin. Once Grams arrived, Jonas left, but only after I assured him a tow was on the way for the truck. What was his deal anyway? My grandmother was there, plus other people had started arriving. On the way home, Grams made some passing comment about him seeming like a nice young man. I think she was getting senile in her old age, but I just smiled and made no comment.

Yes. I got home fine.


I stuffed my phone back in my pocket only to have it buzz again moments later.

Did you find out what's wrong with your truck?

Um...something about an alternator.

Oh good. Glad it's nothing major. 
 You should be back on the road in a day or two 


Nothing major? Day or two? The mechanic guy told me it was gonna 
be a few days maybe a week and would cost me about $2500. 
That sounded pretty major to me.

What garage?

Huh?

Where is your truck?

Moe's Auto Care.

I know him. Don't worry.

I stared at the screen of my phone. Don't worry? What did that mean. I decided to just ignore that statement and put my phone back in my pocket. Half hour later, it buzzed again.

All taken care of. Your truck should be ready tomorrow 
and he's only charging you for the part, so $300.

Again I stared at my phone. I didn't understand what he wanted from me. He had to want something. I thought about calling Mom to ask her, but I knew she probably had her hands full with Carter and Erin with Dad out of town. So I called Hope instead.


Hope: Hey Gracie, how's it going?

Grace: Um...okay I guess other than my truck broke down.

Hope: I don't know why you insisted on keeping that heap anyway. Just let Dad buy you a new one.

Grace: I like my truck. Anyway I have a question for you.

Hope: Okay, shoot.

Grace: There's this guy.

Hope: A guy! Did you say a guy? Oh do tell!

I frowned at her enthusiasm.

Grace: Not like that Hope. He...he owns the local farmer's market grocery store. The organic place that opened a few years back, anyway mom made me go talk to him about selling some of my stuff there. He's always smiling at me, and today he was at the garden when my truck broke down...he offered to give me a ride...


I realized my hands had started shaking again as I told Hope the story. Once I assured her I was okay and told her how he stayed until Grams came and our recent text exchange, she started laughing at me. 

Hope: Look if he got your bill down that much and you barely talk to the guy I'd say he probably likes you.

Grace: He can't.

Hope: Can't what?

Grace: He can't like me.

Hope: Sure he can, and I think he does. At the very least text him back and say thank you. I mean he did just save you a huge chunk of money.

After catching up a bit more we ended the call. Taking her advice, I did send him a thank you text and and got a prompt you're welcome reply. After that, Jonas began texting me daily. I'd get a good morning text, a mid day how was my day going text and a good night text. It was a little unnerving at first, but I always replied politely.


After a few weeks, I got used to getting the texts and our conversations would get longer. I did avoid the gardens for a while, I didn't want to run the chance of running into him again. I had a decent variety of plants growing so I found another quiet spot to do some fishing.


The fish made great fertilizer. Two months after that fateful day, I had to return to the market with my first harvest. Because I didn't know how long it would take, I left Vor at home instead of making him wait outside. The closer I got to town, the more nervous I felt. I thought about calling Mom or Dad to meet me there, but I decided against it. They had their own lives and couldn't come hold my hand every time I needed to talk to people. Besides I'd been to this store before I even met Jonas. I knew the girl that worked the check out. I just had to see her, hopefully. When I pulled into the parking lot, I felt sick. What if he was there? I sat in my truck for ten minutes willing myself to go in and make the sale.


Twenty minutes later, I let out a sigh of relief. I got in and out without running into him and made $450 in the process. I was headed back to my car when I heard his voice behind me.

***A/N***
Grace is now a level 4 gardener. I'm trying to decide between focusing my efforts on growing the perfect plants first and then working her way up the ladder, or continuing to try and do both parts at the same time. 

16 comments:

  1. I think he picked up that there is something else going on with her. He obviously likes her and somehow he knows he has to ease his way in there, but than again this is Jonas we are talking about. I'm really hoping she starts to feel comfortable with him soon, the text messages were a real nice way to break the ice.

    I loved that Kerri said he was a nice young man and Hope just told her nothing to worry about, he likes you. In fact I loved her whole dialogue with Hope. Well she is still avoiding him, but Rome wasn't built in a day and Jonas is patient.

    I may not be patient, but he is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...that very well could be the case. The reaction she had to him was not typical. He does like her, just like Hope said so he's trying to figure out a way to ask her out, but he knows it won't be an easy task. He's a smart man and saw that talking was not going to work so texting was the next best thing. :)

      LOL Kerri sounded very much like something a grandmother would say. The family is hoping Grace will find that special someone and not live her life so alone. They just don't want to push it. Hope is very much like Davis personality wise, very full of life and the exact opposite of Grace. They are still very close, even with Hope living far away.

      She is avoiding him, but she will respond to his texts so that's progress. Aww sorry, but this will be a slow burn of a relationship for sure! Jonas has to take his time or he could mess up big time.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Piazzagirl. Hope the with winter around the corner, they will spend more time together and things will develop nicely for Jonas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will have more time on her hands, question is will she want to spend it with Jonas? He's trying, but he can't rush her. He has picked up on that, so he's doing things slowly to gain her trust.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Hehe. Glad Hope at least told her what's probably true.
    Um, wow. 3 times a day for a guy?! That's some serious likeage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is full of life and is like her father when it comes to the opposite sex. She'll help her sister out where she can. :)

      Yep he sends her a text 3 times a day. Not long winded ones, but just enough so she doesn't forget about him. But yeah he does like her. :)

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. Slow and steady, Jonas. Slow and steady. Don't overdo it! It's good she's talking this out with people, letting them know what's going on instead of keeping it to herself and letting her thoughts run wild. Hopefully her family will keep encouraging her and keep her grounded in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL he knows there's something different about her so he is adjusting his approach accordingly. She is worried about his intentions, so she wanted to talk to someone especially after she over reacted at their first encounter. Hope will keep her on track since she proved even as a teen (before the rape) that she doesn't pick up on guys flirting and such with her.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. It's good to be beautiful. He saved her a lot of money. Now he has to be patient to get to know her better and she might shed the shell she keeps herself closed up in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it's also good to have a nice guy that's connected in the town trying to be your friend. :D He did save her a lot of money and time. He is trying to find ways to make himself a good guy in her eyes. Baby steps.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. Aww I hope he is a nice guy and that she realizes he just likes her and maybe wants to get to know her. I cant wait to see where this is gong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonas is a very nice guy. He only as good intentions where Grace is concerned and hopefully she'll realize that eventually.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. I find beautiful the way he aproaches her, respecting her distance. I think they make a beautiful couple. He really seems to like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's trying to figure out what works for her. She was freaked out about the face to face but didn't react too bad to the texts so he is going with that for now. He does like her and they are gonna make some cute babies once we get there.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. He does seem like a nice guy but it was a little creepy when he just started texting her every day several times, given that they hardly knew each other. It's a good thing though that she was able to relax a little that way and talk to him, so I guess I can't complain ^^ It's probably way too late for this now, but it makes more sense to sell your plants and work on your career ladder as you work on your garden :) You'll have your plants anyway, so you might as well sell them for profit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wanted to talk to her and since she responded to his texts before he just kept doing it. I'm sure he would have stopped if she asked him too.

      I have been selling as I go, getting ready to start selling at the consignment store so she gets more money since the amounts required to move up are high.

      thanks for reading

      Delete